Sunday 21 April 2019

My Top 10 Movies on Netflix

(Disclaimer: I'm going to try and make these mostly Netflix original movies, however there may possibly also be ones that aren't Netflix original. Also if I haven't included a movie(s) on here that's on Netflix that you really enjoy and would recommend then please feel free to comment it down below as I or someone reading this may not have watched it and it could turn into a personal favourite. Also, these aren't necessarily in order of which are the best, they're just my own personal favourites in any random order).
1. To All The Boys I've Loved Before
This Netflix original has to be a personal favourite of mine and I feel like what Lara Jean does with writing letters to all of the boys that she has ever loved (hence the title) is something that we've all thought of doing at some point in our lives (or, at least, I have anyway). I will say that around halfway through this film I kind of started to lose interest a bit, but this wasn't anything really to do with the film and was more to do with me having an inability to sit still and watch something for more than five minutes. I would also say that as I am 19 (18 when I watched the film) it is probably aimed at an audience that is slightly younger than me (I'd say from around the ages of 12/13), however it is perfectly watchable by anyone who is older than that. I would definitely say that I wish my love life could be like how the film portrays teenage love to be like, however, I guess that's all part of the fairytale side of things.

Rating ~ 9/10


2. The Kissing Booth
This is another Netflix original and after having heard so many good things about it I decided to sit down and watch it. I really enjoyed that the plot centred around two best friends where the girl (Elle) fancies the boys (Lee) brother (Noah) however can't be with him due to a pact that they made (or can she?). However like To All The Boys I've Loved Before, it also has that fairytale aspect to it where in real life the chances of any of this actually happening (at least in the way that the film portrays it) are very slim. Despite this, this film is probably one of the very few films where I have actually been able to sit through the whole thing without having to get up and do something else or look at my phone throughout various parts of the film. 

Rating ~ 9.5/10



3. The Princess Switch
Another of Netflix's original films, however this time it's a Christmas movie (the only Netflix Christmas original move that I've watched). It centres around two girls, one a baker and the other a princess, who look exactly alike however aren't related in any shape or form. When the baker (Stacy) heads to Belgravia with her best friend Kevin and his daughter to take part in a baking competition, she meets the princess (Margaret) who is engaged to the prince. The two decide to switch lives and soon find themselves falling for the other's man. As a viewer, you are taken on a Christmas journey of wondering whether the two will be caught out and how they could ever return to their former lives. I definitely didn't feel the need to get up or use my phone during this film and think that this will go down as one of my all-time favourite Christmas films (or just favourite films in general).

Rating ~10/10


4. Four Weddings and a Funeral
Moving away from the Netflix originals now (I have so many I want to watch, I just haven't found the time to watch them), this film took me the longest time to watch (I only watched it for the first time at the end of last year) but I am so glad that I bothered to take the time to sit down and watch it. Yes, towards the end I did find myself getting engrossed in other things and not paying as much attention to the film as maybe I should have done, however this doesn't take away how much of a great film this is. It has an absolutely amazing cast with an amazing plot and is the complete opposite of what I was expecting it to be like. I like that it's set around one particular group of friends and that the script-writing has managed to find a way to include all of them in every single part of the film without it seeming too repetitive. If you haven't watched this yet then I would definitely recommend that you do.

Rating ~ 9/10


5. 13 going on 30
Like the film above, this film is probably one that I should have watched years ago, yet only watched a few months ago. I had heard of it but it was only in Ariana Grande's music video for 'thank u, next' that I realised from the comments how big a deal this film is and that I should watch it. When I did I instantly fell in love with the plot and the characters (well, most of them anyway) and the genre of film (rom-com) is my all-time favourite. I also like that the film shows that you don't need to be popular in order to be successful in life. The portrayal of comedy in this film is excellent and how Garner acts as a 13-year-old in a 30-year-old's body really shows how innocent children are compared to how it can sometimes seem, really showing that keeping your childhood as child-like as possible and not trying to grow up too fast is such an important thing.

Rating ~ 8.5/10



6. Mamma Mia
This film is something that I will always watch over-and-over again and don't think I could ever get bored of it. If anyone knows me they will know that I absolutely love musicals and this doesn't fail to disappoint. The writing and comedic aspects to it are spot on, especially Julie Walters as Rosie who is arguably the best character in both this film and the sequel 'here we go again'. Even though some of the cast can't sing (which is kind of essential to be able to do in a musical), this can easily be looked past due to how amazing the plot and the acting is. I like that the ABBA songs that have been used in this film have a slightly new take on them, making everything in the film original, and also how the songs link in nicely with what is going on in that exact point in the movie.

Rating ~ 9.5/10



7. Legally Blonde
If you have ever watched this film and haven't felt motivated to do something, whether that be school/uni work or doing something that you have been putting off for a while now, then you clearly weren't paying that much attention to the film. It centres around Elle, a teenager who is very popular with wealthy parents and stereotypically seems to be heading to work in fashion. However, after wanting to follow her now ex-boyfriend to Harvard Law School, she ends up studying law but is made to feel that she shouldn't be there as she is 'too stupid'. She manages to prove these people wrong, showing everyone who has ever watched this film that if there is something in life that you want to achieve, no matter how impossible that might seem, that you can do it and that it is possible for anyone to achieve their goal(s) if they just put their mind to it.

Rating ~ 9.5/10


 8. Ted
This film is definitely not one for those of you who are easily offended as this film is definitely one that pushes the boundaries quite a considerable amount. It focuses on a guy who has a talking bear and they are both 'thunder buddies' and have never been without one another since ted was first given to John as a little boy. Their closeness is difficult for John's girlfriend Lori, who only wants to be able to spend some time alone with John every once in a while, resulting in them splitting up. However, when they eventually get back together to discover ted has been kidnapped, they have to fight to try and get him back, except when they do things only go from bad to worse. I definitely wouldn't recommend this for anyone who is under 15 as this film was the one to make me realise why films have an age limit.

Rating ~ 8/10


9. Beauty and the Beast
I absolutely loved the cartoon version of this and when I found that a live-action version was being made I was absolutely ecstatic. However, I never watched this film when it was first released so you can understand how happy I was when it came out on Netflix. I only watched this for the first time recently and enjoyed the fact that it was pretty much exactly how I remembered it from the cartoon. I will admit that throughout this I did occasionally go on my phone and did fall asleep about half an hour before it finished, however this was more to do with the fact that it was quite late at night when I watched it and I was really tired and not because I found the film boring, because it is far from that. Some people may say that I am too old to be watching Disney films, especially ones about princesses, but you are never too old for any kind of film, and this film goes to show that it is what's on the inside and not on the outside that counts.

Rating ~ 9/10

10. Johnny English
I like this film because it involves both drama and comedy and the lead actor is Rowan Atkinson who is one of my all-time favourite actors. I do believe that the film should have been left there and didn't need its sequels as the first sequel wasn't that good and I didn't get anywhere near the end and I haven't even seen the latest sequel. However, I do like the fact that the film shows that everyone is capable of making mistakes, no matter who you are or what profession you are in.

Rating ~ 7/10

Love Beth xx

No comments:

Post a Comment