Sunday 30 June 2019

What to Pack when Moving Away to University

Leaving home to move away to university can be a stressful time for everyone involved. It's stressful to your friends because they don't know when they're next going to see you. It's stressful to your family because they also don't know when they're next going to see you and find it surreal that their child/grandchild/niece/nephew etc is growing up and (kind of) moving out. But, most importantly, it's stressful for you because for presumably the first time in your life you're having to pack up your things and during this process, you are having to figure out what you do/don't need to take.

Well, today I am going to try and make that process a little easier for you. For regular readers, you will know that last September I left home to go to university, which meant having to pack a lot of my stuff up and leave home for the first time in my life. Before this, I did a lot of research into looking at what other people took with them when they first left to go to university, but have found that a lot of the stuff that I took I haven't actually used in the whole nine months I have been there. Due to this, I thought I would make my own list of everything I took with me as even though I didn't use some of this stuff, you might find some use for it (however I will note next to these items if I didn't use them to try and give you a better idea of if you think these items will be necessary to take or not). I will try and make this list as generic as I possibly can, however I understand that boys may need stuff that isn't included on this list, in the same way that they won't need some of the things on this list.

Kitchen
  • 2x plates
  • 2x pasta dishes
  • 2x normal dishes
  • 2x glasses
  • 2x wine glasses (didn't use)
  • 4x forks, knives, spoons, and teaspoons (you won't need this many, this was the smallest amount in a pack I could find, I would recommend only two of each)
  • 2x pans
  • 1x spatula
  • 5x sharp knives (these were all different sizes, however I only used the smallest one)
  • 1x serving spoon
  • 1x masher (didn't use)
  • 1x measuring jug (didn't use)
  • 1x frying pan/wok
  • 1x sieve
  • 1x strainer
  • 1x kitchen scissors
  • 2x oven gloves
  • 3x tea towels (you'll probably only need two, they just came in a pack of three)
  • 1x clear mixing bowl
  • 5x chopping boards (didn't use)
  • 2x mugs
  • 4x plastic containers (only used for freezing food made by my mum when I first moved in, but other than that I didn't use them)
  • 1x washing-up liquid
  • 1x anti-bacterial spray
  • 1x dishcloth
  • 4x kitchen sponges
  • 1x bleach
  • food (my mum bought me two weeks worth when I first moved in, but as long as you have enough to last you for your first few days when you're first moving in and getting used to the area then you'll be fine - DO NOT just order takeaways as you won't be able to afford this lifestyle)
  • 2x alcohol
  • 1x grater
  • bin liners
  • kitchen towel
  • 1x travel mug (didn't really use but it's good for when you have a 9am lecture and don't have time to have a hot drink in the morning)
Bathroom
  • 2x towels
  • 1x toothpaste
  • 1x toothbrush
  • 1x soap
  • 1x shampoo
  • 1x conditioner
  • 1x shower gel
  • 1x shaving foam
  • 1x razor
  • 1x afro comb
  • 1x toilet brush (wasn't needed as there was already one there, which I wasn't aware of before moving in and it wasn't on the list of things already in my accommodation. I recommend taking one just in case, or you could check with your accommodation before you move in)
  • 1x mouthwash
  • 1x bleach
  • toilet roll
Bedroom
  • 1x pillow
  • 1x duvet
  • 1x blanket
  • 2x pillowcases
  • 2x duvet covers
  • 3x scatter cushions
  • pictures of family and friends
  • 1x mirror
  • 1x hairdryer (only used once)
  • 1x hair straighteners (didn't use)
  • 1x curling wand (didn't use)
  • 1x laptop
  • 1x laptop charger
  • 1x phone
  • 1x phone charger
  • 1x iPad
  • 1x iPad charger
  • 1x toothbrush charger
  • 1x hairbrush
  • make-up
  • 1x dressing gown
  • clothes
  • 5x coats (you probably won't need this many. I took a leather jacket, a denim jacket, a waterproof hooded coat, and two thicker coats)
  • shoes (I took way more than I probably needed. I took a pair of heels that I didn't wear, some boots, a pair of trainers, two pairs of converse, a pair of vans, some slip-on shoes that I was planning on wearing for placement but never actually wore)
  • moisturiser
  • body butter
  • hairspray (didn't use)
  • dry hair shampoo
  • face mask
  • perfume
  • body spray
  • make-up brushes
  • hand cream
  • deodorant 
  • chewing gum
  • keyring for fob for accommodation (I particularly recommend this as the fob is pretty small and can get lost easily. Over time I also chose to put it on my lanyard so I couldn't forget it)
  • 1x iron (wasn't needed as there was already one in my flat)
  • washing capsules (didn't use - sounds bad but I took my washing home instead)
  • 1x umbrella
  • 1x scarf
  • 1x suitcase
  • 1x travel bag
  • 1x bag for university
  • 1x laundry basket (you could also just use a large carrier bag)
  • a pair of sliders (trust me, these will be your best friends while living in halls and are a MUST HAVE)
  • ID (particularly important if you are planning on going out)
  • DBS certificate (only need one if your course requires it)
  • 1x speaker
  • 1x phone stand (didn't use)
  • 2x hot water bottle (you'll probably only need one. They're good as your room gets quite cold in the winter - or for when you're on your  period) 
  • 1x extension cable (never used as my room had quite a lot of sockets but some don't so I recommend you buy one just in case)
  • 1x portable charger (PLEASE take this with you on a night out. I didn't and found myself on 5% and separated from my friends - something I DO NOT recommend)
  • multiple carrier bags (so you don't have to spend 10p when going food shopping)
  • 1x bin
  • bin liners
  • 1x pair of sunglasses (didn't use)
  • 1x mattress topper (I particularly recommend this as you don't know how bad your mattress is going to be and this will help you get a good night's sleep)
  • washing powder 
  • duster
  • plasters
  • paracetamol
  • air freshener
  • diffuser
  • 1x doorstop (I'm not 100% sure if this applies to all uni accommodation, but mine was quite clear that you need to keep your doors shut at all times and can't keep them open using anything. I didn't realise this when I bought I doorstop, however it is particularly useful for when you're moving in/out as you're having to constantly carry heavy boxes from one room to another - but obviously in this case you could probably just use something else to hold doors open)
Stationary
  • pens
  • pencils
  • rubber
  • ruler
  • folder
  • 3x notebooks
  • highlighters
  • coloured pens
  • file dividers
  • plastic wallets
  • 1x scissors
  • 2x glue (you'll probably only need one at most)
  • 1x pencil case
  • 1x small basket to hold spare pens/pencils in 
I'm fairly certain this is everything I took with me, however I'm currently writing this at home and have not yet moved all of my stuff back. I am posting this before I have gone back up there to move my stuff out and so haven't been able to see if there is anything I have missed from this list. If you are already a student living in accommodation and think I have missed something from this list, then please feel free to comment it down below. Once I have moved my stuff out, which should be in the next few weeks, I will edit this post as I'm sure I have missed some key things out. 

I hope this list has given you some sort of idea of what you need to take with you when you move to university. I would also like to take this opportunity to wish you all the luck, success and happiness during your time at university and I hope that it all goes well for you.

Love Beth xx


No comments:

Post a Comment