Sunday 3 January 2016

The Awkwardness of Being Awkward

Hey everyone!

I'm really sorry I haven't posted in AGES but that can't be helped due to the non-existent internet I've had for the past three weeks. Just blame the company I'm with because they're supposed to sort it out within a couple of days.

Anyway, I hope you had a really good Christmas and that your new year is up to a really good start. I can't believe it's 2016 already, can you?

So, back to the subject of 'the awkwardness of being awkward'. It is me every single second of every single day. There's pretty much not been a day gone past when I haven't felt awkward once. Even the word awkward looks awkward.

Sometimes, in these awkward situations, I can recover really well from them. Other times I end up making this awkward situation even more awkward than it was in the first place.

I think that an awkward situaion that affects most of us is when you and another person are walking in different directions but towards each other and you both bump into each other and the only way around it is if one of you moves to one side. Only you both end up moving the same way so then one of you has to move back only you both do that as well. This can carry on for a while until one of you stops and the other person moves. And for some reason while this is going on, neither of you talk to one another. For example you wouldn't say something like "I'll go this way and you'll go that way" because you don't want to appear bossy or the fact that you don't know the other person puts you off from talking. This is kind of like an unspoken rule among most Brits I find. It's pretty much that unless something has happened then you don't talk to each other. Like, if you were sat at the bar alone and another person was sat there also alone you wouldn't just randomly start conversation. You'd just drink your drink and look through your phone to try and look busy. Or if you know someone who's working behind the bar you'd talk to them.

Nobody knows why we're awkward. As I explained above, Brits are probably the most awkward people on the planet. We don't know why that is but we just are. But it's kind of like we enjoy being awkward because none of us do anything to try and stop ourselves from being awkward. But in these situations when we do try and stop ourselves, we end up making the situation even more awkward than it already was.

I am an example of an awkward Brit. I could tell you all of the times of me being awkward but there's way too many. Probably one of the most awkward was when I was in year 7 and the example I used above about bumping into someone and you both keep on moving the same way, happened between me and a year 11. I really wanted to say that I'll go this way and you go that way but I was too timid. It ended up in us somehow finding a solution to it but he stormed off really p***ed off and I was just there like 'woah, calm down!'

If you're like me and often get into these awkward situations I'd really like it if you would comment below the most awkward situation you've ever been in.

Thank you so much for reading.

Love Beth xx

No comments:

Post a Comment