Saturday 24 December 2016

Blogmas Day 24: Christmas Eve Traditions

I know that in yesterday's post I did mention how me and my family don't really have any Christmas traditions (well, not anymore anyway) but there are a few things that we do on Christmas Eve every year that have definitely become traditions in my household.

One of these traditions is to have crispy duck pancakes every Christmas Eve. Obviously we're going to be eating a LOT of food on Christmas Day so we don't really want anything that's going to be too filling. My mum always tends to go out before Christmas Eve and buy a duck pancake making kit (as you can probably tell, I have no idea what it's actually called). But it's basically just a pancake that has duck, hoisen sauce, cucumber and lettuce in it and it's honestly one of the nicest things I've ever eaten ever. I'm pretty sure we had this last year but I don't think we had some the year before because we were at my uncles. We were going to have some this year but when my mum went out to buy the kit, there were no more left. But we've pretty much had these duck pancakes every single year on Christmas Eve.

Another one of our Christmas Eve traditions is for me to cook the cauliflower cheese for Christmas Day. Now, this may seem like a weird one to some of you but I can't exactly cook (actually, I take that back, I can't cook at ALL) so making the cauliflower cheese is kind of like my contribution to Christmas dinner. We always have to cook (or at least prepare) a lot of the food on Christmas Eve because there isn't enough places to put all of the food. As this year we've got my nan and grandad coming round they're going to be making some of the food at their house and are then going to bring it round and we'll try and keep it warm at my house for a bit before we eat anything. But anyway, me making the cauliflower cheese has kind of become one of our Christmas Eve traditions because it's just something that I can do to help my mum out and it also makes me feel better in a way that I've contributed something for dinner.

Our final Christmas Eve tradition is to leave a mince pie for Santa and a carrot for the reindeer.  I have two younger brothers (aged 12 and 4) so for my four year old brother we still have to do the whole Santa preparation thing. The good thing about him believing in Santa is that whenever he misbehaves we can just tell him that if he doesn't start being good then Santa won't be coming and he soon shuts up for a bit. We always leave out a mince pie and some sort of drink (this year I think it was milk) and then we leave out a carrot and some water for the reindeer. We have probably been doing this routine ever since my first christmas and once either my brother grows out of this whole Santa thing or I move out, I'm genuinely going to miss this little tradition. This is one of the reasons why I really want children because I want to be able to make Christmas magical for them because I'm like a big kid when it comes to Christmas.

So there are my three Christmas Eve traditions. I'm really interested to know if you have any Christmas Eve traditions with your family, friends, or just with yourself so please comment them down below. I can't believe that it's actually Christmas Day tomorrow! This year has gone way too fast for me and it's really scary.

Love Beth xx

No comments:

Post a Comment